Wednesday 20 January 2021

Jan 19, 2021 - Of Dosa and 3 Chutneys

If you like Dosa, you like it for life. There's no two ways about it. I joke (but I am fairly serious) that I could have Dosa 3-4 times a week and still continue to like to for life. It's a delicious, wholesome, reasonable, simple and easy to make dish. Throw in the freshly made chutney and you have yourself a full meal. It's almost like you can not over charge for it - that would be illegal in a parallel world.

My earliest memories of Dosa are at a restaurant called Woodland's Drive-in Madras. We would all go to the Marina/Gandhi beach and on the way back - we'd go to have a Dosa at this drive in restaurant. Sometimes it would be too crowded and we would have to wait our turn. I don't remember the ambience, I was barely 10 - but I loved the chatter of the people and loved the feeling of a full tummy having eaten my favorite dish. If I reminisce about Dosa, I can not not write about Pai Dosa in Kochi. I absolutely loved their Kancheepuram dosa - stuffed with a filling (I can't exactly remember what went in - beetroot and onion perhaps?) that made me feel so happy and satiated.

Decades later, living in Dubai, I may have found myself a good place. Mami's Illam - serving you delicious ghee roast and 3 chutneys - Coconut, Coriander and Tomato. The chatter continues in this small restaurant. What more can an old Madras soul ask for?

SS

No comments:

Post a Comment